Moving on

Today we moved on, further up the archipelago to Nacula Island. We’d booked ahead, by radio, with both the catamaran and the resort, so they knew we were coming. Yasawas transferWe all piled ourselves and our rucksacks into the dinghy, and met up with the catamaran. This time we were on board for 2 ½ hours, right until the top of its journey. The transfer was a bit ropier this time, with us and our rucksacks all getting splashed by waves as we headed inshore on the most beaten-up looking boat in Fiji.

We’d arrived at Nabua Lodge, which was a bit bigger than Bayside, as it has 6 bures, and four electric lights between 7pm and 10pm. But these were just for the dining room and the toilets – still no lights in our room. It was just as quiet, just two other couples were staying. The setting was much better than Bayside, with really blue sea, and good swimming. But the tempo of the day was the same, dictated by meal times! However, the food wasn’t as good as Bayside, and the staff nowhere nearly as friendly. But it was still blissful.

Nabua lodge panoramaFrom Nabua we were able to make a couple of trips, one by boat to the Blue Lagoon, where we swam and snorkelled, and one to Oarsmans Bay, which is a slightly more expensive resort. It was a 1 ½ hour walk around the rocks and along the beach, but it was worth it – the beach was the best we’d seen on the islands, as there were no rocks in the sea to hamper swimmers. Oarsmans Bay was a bit of hybrid resort, because the accommodation wasn’t in traditional thatched cottages, but in modern wooden lodges, with electricity and hot showers! It attracted both backpackers, and holidaymakers from New Zealand and Australia, both four hours flight away. At both Bayside and Nabua Lodge we’d been paying $100 Fijian (about £45) including all meals, but Oarsmans would have been more than twice that, around $230 for everybody (£100). All the resorts include all meals in their prices, because there is nowhere else to go and eat on the islands.